Friday, April 6, 2012

Blog # 4- Tech for business

If you were in the middle of a job interview and your potential boss asked for your Facebook password, would you give it to them? I’m sure this is one situation you never thought you would hear of never mind encounter, but unfortunately it’s happening more and more. A recent interview went some place that Justin Bassett, of New York, did not expect it to go just a few weeks ago when he was asked for his Facebook password in the middle of his meeting. Justin refused and was not offered the job because of the decision to not share his information. When we go through college we learn how to deal with different situations that may occur during an interview, this is not one that we are trained to deal with. If this were to happen to me I cannot sit here and say I would allow the company to do so. My Facebook is very clean and has nothing on it that I would not want anyone seeing, I just feel as though asking for something as personal as a password to a social network page has nothing to do with being hired for a company. What if we were to ask the potential employer what their e-mail password was, or how about reading their personal mail? Isn’t that the same thing? I understand that companies want the best candidates for their company; however there are so many more ways than snooping through a Facebook account that it can be done. The main issue with this new trend is whether or not it is legal to do so. The Facebook Company does have a policy, long story short, that your account is your account. The other issue is that companies are slipping this new little rule into contracts that have to be signed so the employee has no choice. After learning about this I want to ask you… Would you let your new boss have your password to your Facebook? If so why, if not why? All in all I do not agree with this concept; however it may make users think twice before posting on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment