Monday, April 9, 2012

Bryer Crawford-Extra Credit Blog

I read "Most finders of lost phones try to access personal data, survey finds" by Amy Gahran, written on March 20, 2012. This article says that people who find lost smartphones try to find personal information. For example they will try to get email accounts, banking information, they look at photos, texts, social media etc. Most who found the phones there purposely lost tried to return them but after the fact that they tried gaining personal information. These phones that were lost did not have a passcode or any sort of protection and this was to see what people would do. This is a reason for everyone to have some sort of lock passcode on their phone so if it is lost no one can get through. I feel as most people with the option of having passcodes have them and that is a good thing. This is the reason the phone has the option for a lock passcode is for us to use it and secure our cellular devices. Those who find lost phones and return are very nice and considerate but how would you know they did not go through all your personal information before hand? You will probably never know unless they started accessing your account information on a daily basis. This article proves to show that people are not always nice and considerate and you should always have passwords/locks/passcodes whatever it may be to secure your phone as best you can.

1 comment:

  1. My personal opinion on having a smart phone is that putting a password on it can either benefit you or hurt you. If you think about it you could get into an accident in your car and you are unable to communicate then having a phone that’s not password protected can be useful. When you get your phone stolen and it isn’t password protected then you basically are screwed because there will be no way to get it back someone can use it. Those are my pros and cons for having a password. I still cant decide whether or not I want to put a password on my phone. I have a blackberry and having a password is stupid and harder to quickly access my phone. I would rather never use a password and pray that I do not lose my phone. Smartphones are quickly becoming overrated.

    ReplyDelete